The kindness of travelers

Posted on 2:21 PM by
Our trip to Miami was anything but smooth. I knew from the moment that we went through airport security and the TSA agent alerted me that my driver's license was expiring in three days that we faced a difficult day. But I never expected the emergency landing.

We were about an hour into the flight when a flight attendant asked if any doctors were on board. I looked behind me and about 10 rows back a man was convulsing in his seat.

Four men--the doctors who would save the day!--threw open the curtains from business and first class and rushed back to the passenger who was having a seizure. One doctor screamed out, "Get me a medical kid!"

A flight attendant frantically raced to the back holding the kit, the co-pilot trailing behind. The co-pilot talked with one of the doctor's and ran to the front of the aircraft. Minutes later, the pilot made an announcement that we were turning around and landing in Los Angeles. All the passengers seemed to sigh in frustration in unison: "Uhuuuhu...."

And the drama continued: The landing was fast and furious. The plane screeched as it sped down the runway, the brakes not seeming to do their job. We were all thrown forward in our seats, and when the plane finally stopped, flung backward. Turns out the plane was carrying more fuel than recommended because the fuel tanks at the Miami Airport blew up the day before. Re-fueling in Miami was no longer an option so planes had to carry enough fuel for round-trip flights. The pilot wanted our brakes checked.

I don't know how long we were on the ground in Los Angeles but our five-hour flight to Miami turned into an eight hour one--actually not so bad compared to many other horror stories.

It was midnight when we landed. The children were exhausted. My son could barely hold his eyes open. My daughter was whining about being hungry and wanting dinner.

But dinner wasn't in the cards as we faced a long line at Budget Rental Car, and it took an hour to get a car.

We finally pulled up to our hotel, the Best Western Premier Miami International Airport. We relived to finally reach our destination, and all I could think about was falling into bed. We quickly got our keys and loaded our luggage into the elevator when the kids asked, "What are we having for dinner?"

It was late. There was no way we were pilling into the car and finding a restaurant. At this point, sleep was what the kids needed most. Overtired and cranky, my son broke out into tears. "No dinner! We have to eat dinner!"

A cute 20-something was also in the elevator. "I've got some watermelon in my room. What room are you in? I'll bring it by."

I gave him our room number; a mom knows when she can trust someone. Plus, I figured he'd never come by. He'd go back to his room where his girlfriend was probably waiting and forget about my screaming children. But he did find us. He brought the kids two huge slices--and they devoured them as if they hadn't eaten in days. And then they went to bed and were asleep within five minutes.

Has a fellow traveler ever helped you out in a bind?

1 comments:

dominateseo said...

Definitely a place i would like to visit. Thanks for the nice posts. Now i know where i should go for my next vacation