It's harvest time! Experience fall on a farm

Posted on 12:10 PM by
Feeding animals and picking crops might not sound like typical vacation activities, yet this is a popular trend taking off throughout the U.S. by the name of Agritourism. That's right. Thousands of families are loading up and heading to the country -- and having tons of fun along the way. After all, apples taste better minutes after you pull them off a branch and goats are quite friendly when you're feeding them alfalfa from your own hand.

Below are three places oozing with farm fun.

Hood River, Oregon

Just follow the "Fruit Loop"-that's all you have to do to find the dozens of farms dotting the valley that spreads between town and Mount Hood. The 35-mile drive passes by pumpkin patches, alpaca farms, lavender fields, harvest festivals, corn mazes, and more fresh pies than you can possibly eat. Play: Don't miss Rasmussen Farms, where kids can pull pumpkins off their vines, Kiyokawa Family Orchards where you can pick your own apples and go on a hayride, and Cascade Alpacas, where you can help feed the animals and learn to spin yarn. Eat: The menu at Celilo Restaurant features ingredients grown at Hood River Valley farms. Stay: Best Western Hood River Inn sits on the banks of the Columbia River.

Bennington, Vermont

It's hard to visit this state without passing a working farm because there are so many (find a guide to all the farms through the Farm Association). But you'll encounter a particularly scenic area in the southern part of the state surrounding this pretty town best known as a Revolutionary War battle site. Drive the tangle of roads and you'll find yourself in the heart of rural country with old covered bridges, grazing animals and fields of crops. Play: At the Apple Barn, tour the orchards, run through a corn maze, and pick up a freshly baked pie. At Adams Farm in nearby Willmington, feed the goats and chickens and go for a hayride. Eat: After a day in the field, the fresh pizzas at Marigold Kitchen hit the spot-try the Mimi Pie with local goat cheese. Stay: Best Western New Englander Motor Inn offers a free continental breakfast.

Sevierville, Tennessee

Corn mazes, pumpkins and apples, oh my! This state has much to offer for travelers hoping to celebrate the fall harvest. And outside this town near Great Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the best places to do that. Play: Get lost in the five-acre corn maze and go for a hayride at Kyker Farms. Shuck corn, pick pumpkins and pet farm animals at Echo Valley Farm (pictured) in nearby New Market. Eat: Break for fried apple pies and fresh cider at the Apple Barn. Stay: Best Western Greenbrier Inn is also near Dollywood theme park.

4 comments:

sim so dep said...

Great article! I really love the second paragraph, I know exactly what you mean! This site is great thanks again!

link wheel said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you did there. I actually liked that part, but hehe I'm not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me crazy stories again in the day and calls me a loser. I assume it's time I transfer out of my parents' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad assume xD" Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

so dep said...

Incredible submit! This might help lots of folks discover out about this matter. Do you wish to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your purpose was spot on and owing to you; I probably won't have to explain all the pieces to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Unbelievable submit! This could support a number of individuals find out about this matter. Do you need to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your purpose was spot on and owing to you; I most likely won't have to explain all the pieces to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.