New Article

Posted on 1:51 PM by
Here are some highlights from our travels from San Francisco to Vancouver, B.C., — the start of our great summer family adventure!

British Columbia Family Vacation
My son and my baby daughter were happy to arrive at the Vancouver Airport. Our flight got in at 9:30 a.m.

My number-one lesson from the day
Never book a 7 a.m. flight when you're traveling solo with three kids.

I don't know what I was thinking when I booked a 7 a.m. flight. I must have not been thinking. 

The early departure required us to wake at 4:15 a.m. My two oldest kids, ages 9 and 11, were dead to the world when I barged into their room and started singing "You Are My Sunshine." I had to belt out the words at the top of my lungs before their eyes opened.

And then there was the 11-month-old baby who screamed as if she were starring in a horror flick when I pulled her out of her crib.

Somehow I got the crew dressed and piled into the car along with all our luggage. By the time we got to the airport parking garage, everyone had perked up, but my daughter did say, "Why did you ever book us such an early flight? This is crazy mom!"

One good thing about early flights: They're less likely to be delayed and ours was on time!

My kids are the most amazing Sherpas: Do you want to hire them?
British Columbia Family Vacation
Our luggage included the following separate pieces: One 40-pound suite case (yes, we packed everything for four people into one big bag), one portable crib, one large camera, one violin (because I'm a crazy mom who makes her son practice on vacation), two backpacks and a car seat. Oh, and a baby!

The only thing I had to carry was the baby. My kids lugged everything else to the ticket counter where we dumped the suitcase and crib. I was so proud of them.

I think they could stand outside on the airport curb with a sign "Hire us to carry your stuff" and they'd make a lot of money.

How do I interpret this conversation with my kid?
Mom: I'm so sorry Dante. You're seated a few rows ahead of Paris (his 11 year old sister), Julia (his baby sister) and me. I can ask one of the passengers to switch seats so you can be with us.
Dante: It's Ok. Don't worry about it.
Mom: But it's no problem. I don't want you to sit by yourself.
Dante: Mom, I want to sit by myself.

My new favorite airline is Air Canada
British Columbia Family Vacation Air Canada Baby Changing Tables Plantes
Changing tables on Air Canada flights make babies happy!
After my kids and I settled into our seats (Dante seated four rows ahead of us), the flight attendant came over and said, "Can I help you in any way? Do you need milk? Water? I see your son's sitting a few rows ahead by himself. I'll keep an eye on him. Here are some bags for your diapers. Oh, and there are changing tables in the lavatories."

Changing tables? The look I gave her was one of complete and total shock.

First of all, I'd never been treated with such kindness and respect by a flight attendant. Most often they scowl at my children. And secondly, I was so thrilled that there was a changing table, something I hadn't encountered on a plane in years. Most airlines have removed them from their planes and I find myself doing a yoga act in the closet-size bathroom trying to change the baby. We usually end up scrunched up on the floor. Poop gets smeared on the walls. The baby cries. A line develops outside the door as I clean up the mess. Nightmare!

But on this Air Canada flight, with the big roomy changing tables, doing diaper duty was a dream and my baby Julia smiled and squealed as I put on a clean nappy.

Air Canada I love you!

Taxis are affordable in Vancouver
Traveling with three exhausted kids, I thought it made sense to take a taxi to our hotel. Usually, I opt for public transit to save money, but this morning I decided to splurge and pay for a taxi. What a deal! We paid only $28 to get into town. Well worth every penny!

0 comments: