How long can you stand to be away from your baby?

Posted on 9:50 PM by
Last week, Paris and I went on a mother-daughter getaway in Portland, Ore. In June when I planned the five-night, girls-only vacation, it seemed like a great idea. We'll bond, we'll connect, we'll build memories. But as the departure date neared, I felt sad about leaving behind Dante, my 3-year-old "baby." The day before, I nearly canceled. Paris's enthusiasm for mommy-only time stopped me: "It'll be so fun to be with just you, Mommy," she said. How could I let her down?

On the morning of our departure, I broke down into tears when I said goodbye to Dante. "Don't cry Mommy," he said. "It's OK Mommy." I quickly recovered and thoroughly enjoyed our first few days in Portland. We went berry-picking, played with "flubber" at the OMSI science museum, had a water balloon fight, and read lots of books together. Paris was benefiting from my undivided attention. No tears, no meltdowns, no "I hate you Mommy" tantrums. Just a lot of "I love yous."

On the third night, my husband, Anthony, called: "Dante misses you. He was crying for you at bedtime." My heart ached. Anthony phoned the next morning: "Dante is sick. He has a bad cold. School just called. I have to pick him up." I began to worry. Then Anthony called after picking up Dante at preschool and let me talk to Dante. "I miss you Mommy," he whimpered. "Where are you Mommy?" Anthony said not to worry, but I got off the phone, dialed Southwest Airlines, and changed our flight to return home a day early.

Did I do the right thing? Have you left your kids behind? How long can you stand to be away from your kids?

2 comments:

beeeeeeeee said...

I only have one kid so I don't know if I would turn around to satisfy one over the other, but I know if my one were struggling I'd certainly make every effort to be there for her. How did your daughter respond?

Marianne Cushing said...

Hi Amy. I just returned from the Florida Governor's Conference on Tourism, an annual event that takes me away from my teenage daughter for 3 days. It's not the 3 days that's the issue with her, as she is used to me traveling for work. It's the fact that the conference inevitably falls on the first day of school. This year before I went, my daughter begged me to tell the Governor that he should change the date next year so that I can be home for her LAST first day of school (she'll be a senior). Did I feel like a rotten mother or what? But what's a mom to do when she has to choose between her kids and her job. Doesn't she have the job to give the best to her kids? I'll tell you one thing, I will be home next year, come hell or high water!