Drive, fly, or take the train?

Posted on 3:21 PM by
Everyone in the travel industry is talking about it. Airlines are up this summer. If you didn't book weeks ago, you're going to be hard pressed to find any deals for June, July, or August.

So if you're traveling on a budget, does that mean you should opt for a road trip or train travel? Are these options cheaper?

USA Today answers this question in a recent article by looking at the cost of travel for three summer trips. Boston to New York City, Los Angeles to Las Vegas and Indianapolis to Chicago. The writer priced out airfare, bus fare, train tickets, and road-trip fuel costs, and also calculated the amount of time each respective travel method would take. Each scenario shows round-trip per-person costs, including all taxes and fees. Estimated duration times are each-way. For the fuel test comparisons, the writer checked prices on AAA's Fuel Cost Calculator using a 2005 Honda Civic as an example.
Route: Boston/New York
Flight Price/Duration: $123/1h 20m
Train Price/Duration: $98/4h 10m (NE Regional), $221/3h 35m (Acela)
Bus Price/Duration: $19/4h 15m
Fuel Price/Duration: $42/3h 40m
Route: Los Angeles/Las Vegas
Flight Price/Duration: $130/1h
Train Price/Duration: No train option
Bus Price/Duration: $60/5h 45m
Fuel Price/Duration: $54/4h 20m
Route: Indianapolis/Chicago
Flight Price/Duration: $156/1h
Train Price/Duration: $56/5h 5m
Bus Price/Duration: $28/3h 15m
Fuel Price/Duration: $35/3h 6m

4 comments:

link wheel said...

Hey cool blog, just questioning what anti-spam software you use for feedback because i get lots on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

I was questioning what is up with that bizarre gravatar??? I know 5am is early and I'm not wanting my finest at that hour, however I hope I do not seem like this! I'd nonetheless make that face if I am requested to do a hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Please inform me it labored proper? I dont need to sumit it again if i shouldn't have to! Both the weblog glitced out or i'm an fool, the second possibility doesnt surprise me lol. thanks for an excellent weblog! Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

I used to be wondering if you would like to be a guest poster on my web site? and in exchange you possibly can embody a hyperlink your post? Please reply whenever you get a chance and I'll ship you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.