Kids and ski helmets: My how things have changed

Posted on 10:09 PM by
Last weekend, I stepped foot on a downhill ski resort for the first time in over 20 years. Watching the skiers line up for the lift I noticed all sorts of differences. Skis are a lot wider than they once were. Everyone under age 40 snowboards. And kids wear helmets. All of the children, even many adults, were sporting a hard shell.

When I rented my kids ski gear, helmets were included in the cost. I worried that they might find them cumbersome, but they seemed entirely unphased.

According to the Denver Post:
In 2008-09, the National Ski Areas Association counted 39 deaths in 57.4 million skier days in the United States. That annual tally hasn't varied much in any year in the past decade.

Among those '08-09 deaths, 31 skiers were not wearing helmets. That same season, the association counted 44 serious injuries; 32 of those skiers were not wearing helmets.

In a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal in February this year, researchers found that skiers' risk of head injury fell by 35 percent with helmet use. The same study found no connection between helmet use and neck injury, a common concern among the dwindling number of helmet opponents.

Even without the threat of laws and fines, helmet use climbs roughly 5 percent every year. Half of all skiers and snowboarders in America wear helmets, up from 25 percent in 2002-03. Helmets are on 90 percent of Colorado's skiers 9 years old and younger...
Do you wear a helmet when you ski?

3 comments:

link wheel said...

Wonderful learn, I simply passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he really bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what youve received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyones attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Thank you for your sharing. Supposed to attack these head-on and you will find a deep sense of gratification that will fuel your happiness.