Kids and ski school: Lessons learned

Posted on 9:44 PM by

As a child, my winter weekends were spent in ski school. My parents would drop me with a group of kids sporting puffy snow suits and a teacher who looked no older than 13, and they'd take off to ski black diamond runs while I struggled on the bunny slopes.

Later in the day, they'd pick me up and take me up an intermediate lift, hoping to watch their little girl race down the hill. Usually, I'd disappoint them, stiffly holding my skis in snowplough position the entire way down, usually taking several falls, and typically ending up in tears. I hated downhill skiing.

And so when my two kids got to be about 4 and 5, I decided that we'd try cross-country skiing instead of downhill. I quickly fell in love with the sport--the quiet, the gently rolling hills, the deserted runs. And I enjoyed skiing along side my family. The kids also enjoyed it, but this year they started asking about downhill. There friends at school were going downhill skiing and they wanted to try it too.

And so last weekend, we drove to California's Bear Valley Ski resort, south of Tahoe, and put them in downhill ski school while my husband and I went cross country skiing.

It had been 20 years since I'd stepped foot in a downhill resort and things have changed.

First of all, you don't just show up on Saturday morning and stick your kids in a ski class. At many resorts the ski school classes fill up weeks in advance and you need to call ahead to book.

Luckily, a friend forewarned me of this and so I called a week ahead, and actually all of the lessons were full. But I called back a day later, and the resort added an additional class.

We made another big mistake by showing up 10 minutes late on the second day of class. We were staying a half-hour from the resort but it started snowing and we had to put on chains. It ended up taking us over an hour to get there. When we showed up, they wouldn't let the kids into the morning class. They bumped us to a later afternoon class. Lesson learned: Show up on time, even better 15 minutes early.

4 comments:

link wheel said...

Fantastic post! This could support plenty of folks discover out about this matter. Do you wish to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your cause was spot on and owing to you; I probably will not have to explain all the things to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Hey cool weblog, just questioning what anti-spam software program you employ for feedback as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

I've to say, I dont know if its the clashing colors or the bad grammar, however this blog is hideous! I mean, I dont wish to sound like a know-it-all or something, but may you have got presumably put slightly bit more effort into this subject. Its actually attention-grabbing, however you dont characterize it nicely in any respect, man. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Truely a nice blog and excellent anylasisi. I like your blog and the style you talk! Thanks for your great work, faithfully.