Planes, trains & automobiles day 7: San Juan Capistrano to San Diego

Posted on 1:26 PM by
The Rundown
Train departs:
San Juan Capistrano, 1:38 p.m. (Leaves on time.)
Train arrives:
San Diego, 3 p.m. (Arrives 10 minutes early.)
Total hours on train:
1 hour, 20 minutes
What we saw out the train window: For my son, the highlight is Camp Pendleton, where we spot marines in uniform running through the brush overlooking. They're carrying what look like guns. This gets my son excited. His eyes get really big and he says, "I think that's a war."
Photo of the day: This is a bad photo but it's the only one I took on day 7 and it shows you that we made it to our final destination: the San Diego train station. This was actually the most beautiful station we saw on our trip. It dates back to 1915 and the interior was adorned with gorgeous tilework.
Low point of the day: Anthony (my husband and my children's dad) is flying to meet us in San Diego. He calls from the airport to say that his plane has been canceled and he's being bumped to a later flight. I have been traveling alone with the kids for seven days and so I can hardly wait to see him--and let him watch the children. I'm disappointed when I hear the news...though I also find his nightmare air-travel story amusing since our experiences on the the train have been so lovely.
High point of the day: While we're on the Amtrak train from San Juan Capistrano to San Diego, Anthony calls to say that he was able to hop on an earlier flight so he won't be as late as expected. Yeah! Air travel isn't so bad after all. He meets us at the hotel in San Diego's Old Town, where we go for a family swim. I get to relax in the hot tub while Anthony throws the kids around in the pool. Then we walk into Old Town and grab dinner at a touristy Mexican restaurant where the food is bland but the margaritas humongous.
Quote of the day: "Mommy, this is the the best food I have ever had," my daughter says as she's happily noshing on a corn dog. (I should have ordered off the kids' menu!)
Expenses
  • $30 one adult business class Amtrak ticket, includes snack and beverage
  • $30 two child business class Amtrak tickets, includes snack and beverage
  • $35 rental car
  • $15 taxi from San Diego train station to hotel
  • $73.95 dinner, Zocalo grill
  • $150 Best Western Hacienda
Total expenses: $333.95

0 comments: