London with kids: Natural History Museum

Posted on 3:56 PM by
Of all the great cities in the world, London just might be the best for a family vacation. This vibrant, electric metropolis offers a dizzying array of things to do, from catching a Broadway play to sipping tea brewed at Fortnum & Mason to reading Peter Rabbit from original pages of the Beatrix Potter classic at the Victoria Albert Museum.

Our family recently found that even on a two-week vacation you can only get a small taste of all there is to do. And that's the beauty of London: It has so much to offer and you can keep returning and see something new every time.

In the next several posts, I'll highlight some of our favorite family spots in London, and we'll start with the Natural History Museum...

Natural History Museum
The best thing about the Natural History Museum, only steps away from the South Kensington Tube station, is that it's free. And for a family of four in London this is a boon because nearly everything else in this city is expensive (try $5 per gallon for gasoline), except for many of the museums that don't charge admission.

The next best thing about the Natural History Museum is the dinosaur exhibit. There's no debate here: It's hands-down the best in the world. My 6-year-old son who to typically whines his way through his museums saying, "Mommmmy, lets GO!" was completely mesmerized. The highlight was most definitely a giant animatronic model of a T. Rex with teeth 15 centimeters long.

We also wandered through the mammals exhibit where we gazed up at a life-size model of a blue whale, saw eye-to-eye with a stuffed Maurititis dodo that's now extinct in the birds wing, and learned what it's like to be inside an erupting volcano by watched terrifying footage of flowing lava and ash, and

7 comments:

Sonja said...

You're so lucky the picture by the Thames turned out SO nice! I've been to London in the winter and all my pictures turned out dark and dreary.

Alicia said...

You are luckier having that trip with your family successfully... London is part of my travel destination list but to bad I haven't been there. I am so jealous of you guys. Traveling with your love ones in a very special place is an accomplishment.

dominate seo said...

Please inform me it labored right? I dont want to sumit it once more if i should not have to! Either the weblog glitced out or i am an idiot, the second option doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an amazing blog! Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good supply like this.

link wheel said...

I was more than happy to seek out this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice read!! I definitely having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I really appreciated that part, however hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me crazy stories again in the day and calls me a loser. I guess it's time I move out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad think xD" Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

Took me time to read all of the comments, but I really loved the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I am positive to all the commenters right here! It is always good when you can't solely be informed, but additionally engaged! I am sure you had pleasure writing this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Hey, I tried to email you regarding this post but can't seem to reach you. Please email me when get a moment. Thanks.