10 tips for NASCAR novices

Posted on 8:30 AM by

How does a novice NASCAR fan survive the first race? Let's just say I learned the hard way.

On the final day of my mother-son trip back East, I took 4-year-old Dante to a NASCAR race at Dover International Speedway in Delaware. This was my first race car event, and I did everything wrong: brought only $10 cash, hit the road on empty, packed a tiny tube of sunscreen, failed to bring a stroller, forgot to pack water and snacks, and most importantly I didn't leave for the races early enough. But even though we baked in the sun and I walked some five miles with my son on my back, we had a great time. As soon as the cars fired their engines, my son's eyes lit up and he was enthralled by the motor action. He quickly forgot that we didn't have cash to buy lunch and that the only ATM at the track was broken. (Don't worry: We eventually found one outside the track.)

Planning to go to your first race? So you don't make the same mistakes that I did, follow these tips:

1) Go online. The night before the race, consult the track Web site for directions and parking and shuttle info. If I had gone online, I would have learned that Dover Speedway offers a parking shuttle for $20--and this would have saved my back.

2) Fuel up. Also the night before, fill up at a gas station--so you can focus on getting to the race in the morning. Keep in mind that some tracks are in the middle of nowhere.

3) Go early.
Arrive at least four hours before the race starts, and plan to sit in traffic. We were an hour and a half away from the track in Dover but it took us four hours to get there and park the car.

4) Dress in layers. You'll be outdoors for eight to 10 hours. At Dover, it was cool in the morning, baking hot in the afternoon, and then cold again in the evening.

5) Sport comfy shoes. You'll likely have to park far from the entrance. We were a full two miles away, so I was happy that I decided to wear my tennis shoes. Also, be sure that your shoes are closed toe.

6) Be prepared for rain. Sorry, no umbrellas allowed. Pack a poncho instead.

7) Bring sunscreen. Lots of it--and a hat.

8) Wear ear protection. Decibel levels at NASCAR races are dangerously high, according to recent studies by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. You should at least wear ear plugs but ear muffs are even better. You can also rent or buy special headphones that block out the car noise and come with a patch cable to connect to a scanner so you can listen in on the driver to pit communications.

9) Stuff your wallet with cash. The food vendors at NASCAR races generally don't accept credit cards so bring bills. At the race in Dover, we paid $3.50 for a bottle of water and $5 for a hot dog. You'll also need money for parking, shuttle buses, programs, and souvenirs.

10) Leave early. Unless you're a die-hard fan and don't mind sitting in traffic, leave the race an hour early. Most races last about four hours.

0 comments: