Roadside attraction: Nut Tree, Calif.

Posted on 12:37 AM by
For decades the Nut Tree in Vacaville, Calif., provided San Francisco travelers heading to and from the Sierra with a pleasant respite. It was a place to stop for honey-baked cookies shaped like bears, pineapple marshmallow delight, and huge homemade lollipops in its restaurant known for its treats. It was also a place to ride the little red train that circled the shady grounds, and to shop for unusual trinkets in the gift shop that specialized in items from around the world. Opened as a fig stand in 1921, the Nut Tree evolved into a major tourist complex on Interstate 80. Queen Elizabeth, Bing Crosby and presidents Nixon and Reagan all stopped by.

Then in 1996, the Nut Tree closed due to a decline in business. Travelers mourned. But in 2006, a developer revived the roadside attraction and opened a small children's amusement park featuring the same little steam engine and many of the other original attractions such as the giant hobby horses that children could sit atop and rock back and forth. And then that closed--and then more recently a smaller version of the Nut Tree was revived. The original train circles a small park surrounded by some restaurants. There's the original carousel and some rocking horses. The kids and I stopped by on our way home from the Sierra on a recent weekend. We grabbed tasty thin-crust pizza at a place called Amici's and then rode the train and took a whirl on the merry-go-round. The Nut Tree certainly is not what it once was but if you have kids and have been in the car for hours it's worth the stop.

5 comments:

Sharlene said...

I lived in Vacaville for about 6 months last year and never once went to the amusement part of the Nut Tree. It just isn't the same. So sad.

sim so dep said...

I enjoyed this post a lot. It was certainly creative and not what I was expecting when I clicked on the title ? a title I might add, which is quite good. I know I had to find out what ways ?guaranteed? I could grow my list.

link wheel said...

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve received one thing good here. However what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you might give us something to look at, something that would join what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

Hey cool weblog, simply wondering what anti-spam software program you use for comments because i get lots on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there should not a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Took me time to learn all the comments, but I actually loved the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I'm positive to all of the commenters here! It is all the time good when you cannot solely be told, but in addition engaged! I'm certain you had joy scripting this article. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.