Fall drives for leaf-peeping

Posted on 9:31 PM by
My kids are back in school so we won't be going on any big trips for the next few months. But if we could getaway, I'd want to check out the fall foliage--or at least that's what I found myself wishing I could do after reading Budget Travel's round up of five fall drives.

Here's a look at the first drive...click here for the full story.

VERMONT ROUTE 100
Stamford, Vt., to Newport, Vt., 216 miles
Snaking through the center of Vermont all the way from the Massachusetts border to the Canadian one, Route 100 feels less like a state highway than one long, rambling backcountry path. A strict billboard ban preserves every vista as the road winds between the peaks of Green Mountain National Forest and passes through quaint valley towns like Hyde Park and Weston (population 631). With only farm stands, country stores, and covered bridges breaking up the landscape, you'll consistently feel 200 miles from the 21st century.
Don't miss: The seven-mile stretch through Granville Gulf State Reservation, a favorite for leaf peepers, is also home to the multitiered, 35-foot-tall Moss Glen Falls, which can be seen from the road.
Trip tip: The Vermont Curiosities guidebook ($16) goes beyond foliage, introducing travelers to little-known gems around the state, from roadside barbecue joints to hole-in-the-wall museums.
Where to stay: The Old Red Mill Inn, in the heart of Wilmington, retains rustic charm from its previous life as a sawmill (18 N. Main St., Wilmington, oldredmill.com, from $70). Homemade cookies and intricate quilts create a homey vibe at the Brass Lantern Inn, but be sure to leave the property from time to time to explore Stowe's award-winning restaurants (717 Maple St., Stowe, brasslanterninn.com, from $99).
Read the full story

4 comments:

link wheel said...

I used to be searching for crucial information on this subject. The knowledge was necessary as I am about to launch my own portal. Thanks for providing a lacking link in my business. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good source like this.

so dep said...

Utterly understand what your stance in this matter. Though I'd disagree on some of the finer details, I feel you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Thanks for the wise critique. Me & my neighbour have been getting ready to perform a little research about that. We received a great guide on that matter from our local library and most books the place not as influensive as your information. I am very glad to see such info which I used to be searching for a protracted time.This made very glad! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

There are certainly numerous details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the ideas above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you convey up where a very powerful factor might be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.