Ohio River Valley: Summer road trip?

Posted on 1:33 PM by
Every summer our family of four hits the road for a week-long trip. Last summer, we drove across Montana. Another summer we cruised up I-5 through Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. We've also followed Route 66 and traced the length of the Mississippi River, which actually took us three weeks.

We're starting to explore routes for this summer, and I keep coming back to the Ohio River Valley. This isn't an especially sexy option. No glamorous cities or big-name national parks along this route. I couldn't find a single guidebook to the drive that follows the Ohio River through Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, West Virgina, and Kentucky.

But I did come across this Ohio River Scenic Byway website: http://byways.org/explore/byways/2286. And this one: http://ohioriverbyway.com.

I'm drawn to the rural countryside of Kentucky and the Industrial cities: Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. And I've always wanted to see Louisville.

What do you think? Have you driven this stretch of road? Please offer suggestions.

0 comments: