Business trips with baby: Can they work?

Posted on 9:38 AM by
About eight months after giving birth to my son and returning to work, my boss at the time asked me to attend a convention in Chicago. I was working on a travel magazine, and one of my many responsibilities was to track new travel products--from the latest suitcase designs to high-tech gadgets for working on the road.

"Sure, I'll go I said, but I'm bringing my baby."

My boss gave us the go ahead and a few weeks later we were on a plane to Chicago.

My work obligations consisted of attending the two-day convention where travel companies were showing off their wares. I walked up and down the aisles lined with booths and spoke with salespeople--and wore my son on my back in an Ergo Baby Carrier (like the one pictured).

He slept most of the time. He never cried. He was at the perfect age when he had passed the fussy stage yet he was still sleeping a lot. I remember sneaking away into the rest room a few times to nurse. There were no meetings or presentations to attend, which made things easy.

While I was definitely the only one at the convention with a baby, no one seemed to mind. Mostly, people just wanted to hold him or told me what a doll he was.

The trip was a huge success, and I was able to take the trip without leaving my new baby behind.

Have any other readers brought a new baby on a business trip? What made it work or not work?

4 comments:

Amy @ The Q Family said...

I have written about that on my blog a couple weeks ago after we came back from business conference with my kids.

I think it depends on the type of business trip you have to take and also the ages of your kids.

Here is my 5 tips to take kids on business trip: http://www.theqfamilyadventures.com/2009/09/5-tips-to-take-kids-on-business-trip/

sim so dep said...

oh coo, this information is really useful and definately is comment worthy! hehe. I?ll see if I can try to use some of this information for my own blog. Thanks!

link wheel said...

Completely understand what your stance in this matter. Though I'd disagree on some of the finer particulars, I feel you did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

so dep said...

Have you ever ever thought of including just a little bit extra than simply your ideas? I imply, what you say is essential and everything. But its obtained no punch, no pop! Possibly in the event you added a pic or two, a video? You could have such a more powerful weblog when you let people SEE what youre talking about instead of simply studying it. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.