Thanksgiving road trip

Posted on 7:59 AM by
Why lug a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old across the country over the Thanksgiving holiday, a time of year when airports are packed, highways clogged, and the weather notoriously dreadful?
The answer to this question is complicated. Let's just say we're searching for long-lost relatives, warmer weather, and a breath of fresh air, in both a figurative and literal sense.
Our itinerary: Fly into Jacksonville, Fl. Drive to Orlando and spend two nights with some relatives. Drive back up the coast to Savannah, Ga., to soak up some Southern charm, and then charge on to Charleston, S.C., to spend Thanksgiving with another set of relatives. Stop by the Okefenokee Swamp on our way back to Jacksonville, and then return to S.F.

Here's a rundown of our first day:
8 a.m. We need to leave the house for the airport at 11:30 a.m. Can I pack for myself and two children in three and a half hours?
8:15 a.m. Packing for the kids is easy. Two pairs of pants each. One pair shorts. Three tops. PJs. Socks. Done!
8:30 a.m. Where are the kids' swim goggles? Looks like we left those at the pool. *&#?!
8:45 a.m. Printing out coloring pages and games from Kaboose.com--great resource for children's activities.
9 a.m. Which pair of shoes can I pack that I can wear with a dress and on a hike? I'm determined to bring only one pair of shoes for myself. I want to pack light so we don't have to check luggage; the airline we're flying charges $15 a bag. Ouch!
10 a.m. Snacks for the plane: dried mango, dried apricots, apples, almonds, and a few packs of gum.
10:30 a.m. "Where's the other booster seat? I looked everywhere for it."
"Uh, I left it at Mark's house. Sorry about that. We can buy a new one when we get to Florida."
11:29 a.m. I manage to stuff everything we need into three rolling carry-ons. I realize that it takes more effort to pack light.
11:30 a.m. Taxi arrives. "Mommy! Where's Marie! I forgot Marie! I need Marie." My daughter bursts into tears as I run back into the house to look for her stuffed cat.
Noon. Check in. Go through security. We fill 12 bins with all our crap--jackets, laptops, shoes, stuffed animals...
12:15 p.m. Lunch at Klein's Deli, where the sandwiches are big and imaginative and named after famous female icons of the 20th century. I order The Piaf: roast beef, cream cheese, horseradish, dill pickle, and tomato on dark rye. My husband orders The Kahlo: chicken salad with mango chutney, almonds, raisins, a dash of curry, lettuce and tomato on wheat.
1 p.m. At the newsstand: I pick up The New Yorker and In Touch. "Mommy can we get some Tic Tacs?" "No!" "Please!" I cave.
1:15 p.m. "Where have you been? They're boarding our flight?" My husband is mad because we're late in boarding our flight and we have a lot of carry-on luggage. "There won't be enough room for our carry-ones!"
1:30 p.m. We board the plane and find space for our luggage several rows behind us. The kids watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on the laptop. Ahhh! I can relax and read about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' dysfunctional marriage, and about Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt (isn't that over?).
1:45 p.m. "Mommy, can I have a Tic Tac?"

2 p.m. OMG! Jennifer and Brad send text-messages every day! And Tom and Katie might get a divorce.

2:15 p.m. "Mommy, can I have a Tic Tac?"

2:30 p.m. The kid sitting in front of us is sneezing and coughing--and he sounds like Darth Vader when he breathes. And then the dad says to the wife, "Honey, he feels really hot. Feel his forehead. Maybe we should take his sweater off." I grab my CleanWell hand-sanitizer from my purse: "Kids let's take a bath!"

3 p.m. "Mommy, can I have a Tic Tac?"

3:15 p.m. "Mommy, my Tic Tac is stuck in my Transformer, and I can't get it out."

3:30 p.m. "Mommy, can I have another Tic Tac?"

4 p.m. We sit next to a 17-year-old girl from Arcata. She's flying to Pensacola to visit her boyfriend who is the Marines and currently in training. "I hope he doesn't get sent to Afghanistan," she says.

4:30 p.m. Turbulence. "Mommy, are we going to crash?"

6 comments:

Luray va accommodations said...

This is all a fabulous and fantastic blog with all the perfect description of your all tasks which has been accomplished during your trip and has got a devastating experience as well.

link wheel said...

Have you ever ever considered adding more movies to your weblog posts to maintain the readers extra entertained? I mean I just learn by way of the complete article of yours and it was fairly good but since I'm more of a visible learner,I found that to be more useful nicely let me know how it turns out! I like what you guys are always up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the good works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. This can be a nice article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I'll visit your weblog repeatedly for some newest post. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

I have bookmarked it. This post is really so interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing with us.

sim so dep said...

Interesting article. Well done and good luck with your very great work. I wish you have a luxury time to consider using benefits articles can offer. Thanks for sharing.

so dep said...

Sources like the one you talked about right here will probably be very useful to me! I will submit a link to this web page on my blog. I am sure my guests will discover that very useful. Large thanks for the useful data i discovered on Domain Information Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Completely understand what your stance on this matter. Though I might disagree on a number of the finer details, I think you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.