What I'm loving right now: NY Times Family Guide

Posted on 10:26 AM by
I check The New York Times Web site every morning and go to the Travel section at least once a week, yet it was just today that I stumbled upon the "Family Travel Guide." Here, The Times has compiled all dozens of its past articles geared specifically to those traveling with kids in tow. You'll find stories on everything from trekking with llamas in Colorado to playgrounds in Amsterdam to camping in New York City (who knew?).

It's fun to browse through the section and daydream about all the places you could take your kids. Forget Disneyland when you can tour the mosques and medinas of Marrakesh, walk through a butterfly rainforest in Florida, or go tubing in the Poconos.

I was particularly excited to find a piece on Savannah, Ga., as my kids and I will be exploring the Southern town in a few weeks. Now, I know to check out the Railroad Museum, sign up for one of the children's workshops at the Jepson Center for the Arts, and go for blueberry corn pancakes at the Firefly Cafe.

So often the articles in The Times are even better than the best guidebooks because the writers hone in on a single destination and thoroughly research it. They only write about restaurants where they have actually eaten, and when they're writing about a place from a family angle they can actually tell you about their children's experiences in that place.

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

What a comprehensive resource! Thanks for pointing it out!

Ross Park Mall said...

I also love the NYT, and certainly use them when planning a New York City Family Vacation, BUT all they really do in their "guides" are collect articles that may be related and are often out of date. A guide to me should give me an ourverview - not a big collection.

sim so dep said...

I have read this post.It's really awesome.I have noted some point which make this post excellent. I hope you will keep continue to write other informative and interesting post.Thank you.

so dep said...

Took me time to read all of the comments, but I really loved the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I am positive to all the commenters right here! It is always good when you can't solely be informed, but additionally engaged! I am sure you had pleasure writing this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Took me time to learn all the comments, but I actually loved the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I'm positive to all of the commenters here! It is all the time good when you cannot solely be told, but in addition engaged! I'm certain you had joy scripting this article. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.