Why I hate wi-fi on planes

Posted on 9:36 AM by
I have always seen a plane flight as an escape--an opportunity to relax. A flight from SFO to JFK provides a solid block of time to watch two movies in a row, or read the book that has been sitting unopened on my bedside table for weeks.

If you're traveling with kids, a flight offers time to play 100 games of tic-tac-toe, read Stuart Little straight through from beginning to end, and color an entire Snow White coloring book--things I would never do with my children at home because the dishes always need to be washed, dinner needs to be made, the kitty litter box needs to be cleaned. And most often I need to get online to do some work.

I work at home and most of my projects are done through Web-based programs, so when I'm at home there's always this pressure to be online, and I'm constantly fitting in computer time between quick games of Go Fish and fierce lightsaber battles.

But on an airplane that pressure has always evaporated. An airplane was a place where I could relax or focus on my kids for hours and hours...until airplanes introduced wi-fi.

I have been reading all about airlines adding Internet access on their planes but I had yet to actually be on a flight with a connection until a few months ago.

Before boarding the flight, I was looking forward to reading my daughter Pippi Longstocking and watching Word Girl with her on my laptop. But then I got on the plane and the flight attendant made the announcement about the wi-fi...and I began to think, I really should be working....I bet I could get her to do some coloring and I could respond to a few emails and get that assignment done...Argh! My escape was gone.

Photo credit: http://blogs.zdnet.com

5 comments:

Trisha said...

I can hear you there. It's one step closer to having cell service available. Love your stories!

link wheel said...

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve received one thing good here. However what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you might give us something to look at, something that would join what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Thank you for the wise critique. Me & my neighbour have been getting ready to do a little analysis about that. We received an excellent guide on that matter from our local library and most books where not as influensive as your information. I am very glad to see such information which I used to be searching for a protracted time.This made very glad! Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

There are certainly lots of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to deliver up. I offer the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you convey up the place crucial thing will be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, however I am sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

I think I will try to recommend this post to my friends and family, cuz it?s really helpful. Pretty good post.