Truckee, Calif.: A snowy spot for families

Posted on 9:55 PM by
Truckee was once a place you stopped to fill up your car with gas on the way to one of the many ski resorts that circle Lake Tahoe. But now skiers are staying over night in this small town, located about 30 minutes from Reno.

With a handful of great places to bed down, a happening restaurant scene, and a main drag lined with old Western facades, Truckee offers more charming delights than you'll find at any of the ski resort villages.

My family recently spent two days in Truckee, and we discovered a great places were travelers can stay, play, and eat.

Stay: With feather beds, an outdoor hot tub, and free hot breakfast, the Best Western Truckee Tahoe Lodge provides comfort and value. At the front desk you can buy discounted lift tickets for nearby resorts such as North Star and Squaw Valley.

Play: Twenty minutes south in Soda Springs, Royal Gorge Cross-Country Ski Resort offers some 200 miles of trails that spread across 10,000 acres of mountain, forest and meadow. For families, it's a great alternative to the nearby downhill resorts that are spendy and often crowded. The kids camp is only $75 and includes a full day of instruction, lunch and rentals. Access to the trails are free for children 10 and under.

Eat: Downtown's Donner Pass Road is chockablock with restaurants but Moody's Bistro is the rowdiest and most refined of them all. The nightly changing menu features dishes such as homemade gnocchi drizzled with truffle oil and roasted Fulton Valley chicken, and the food is so good that it got a write-up in The New York Times. But peope aren't only coming here to eat. They're also pouring into this former hotel to hear live music; Paul McCartney has played here not once, but twice. And on Sunday, this is a hot spot for families as dinner is served family-style--$30 per adult; $15 for kids 12 and under.

4 comments:

link wheel said...

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to deliver up. I supply the ideas above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place crucial thing might be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round things like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

I was wondering should you can be fascinated about changing into a guest poster on my weblog? and in trade you could possibly put a link the submit? Please let me know once you get a chance and I will send you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there should not a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

I've been trying to Acquire access to this web site for a while. I used to be utilizing IE then after I tried Firefox, it labored just fine? Just wished to deliver this to your attention. That is really good blog. I've a bunch myself. I actually admire your design. I know that is off matter but,did you make this design yourself,or buy from somewhere? Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.