Big cities on a budget: Get tips on View from the Bay

Posted on 7:33 AM by
It seems big cities are best suited to travelers with big budgets but actually urban destinations are filled with bargains. And they're great for families traveling on a shoestring.
My family of four just got back from a spring break in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and D.C.—and this same itinerary also makes for a fun summer vacation.
The budget for our trip was $250 a day, and over eight days we spent about $2,000. And yes, we actually had fun. (Today, I'll be talking about the trip on ABC's View from the Bay, a California Bay Area afternoon lifestyle show.)
Here are four things that we did to keep costs down:
1) Take public transportation.
  • In big cities it doesn't make sense to rent a car because you'll have to pay hefty parking fees.
  • On our trip, we mainly traveled between cities on the Greyhound bus. It's cheaper than the train—and actually quite comfortable because Greyound recently introduced new buses with comfy seats and free wi-fi.
  • In the cities, we made use of the subways.
2) Stay at hotels that offer value.
  • We stay at Best Westerns because they offer lots of free perks—all the hotels we stayed at offered free breakfast, so that easily saved us $10 – 20; the free wi-fi was also a big help.
  • The Best Western rewards program also allowed us to get one of our nights for free. Travelers commonly join airline rewards programs but they often forget that hotel chains offer them too. Right now, you can earn $50 after staying twice at Best Westerns.
3) Don't spend a dime on activities and attractions.
  • In New York, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. You can also take the Staten Island Ferry as a free way to see the Statue of Liberty or spend the day in Central Park.
  • In Boston we walked the Freedom Trail.
  • In D.C. we visited the recently reopened American History Museum as well as the many other museums that don't charge admission.
  • Convention and Visitors Bureau Web sites and information centers are great resources for lists of free activities and events.
4) Dine out at restaurants that dish up cheap, yummy food.
  • It’s easy to spend only $5 to $7 per person on dinner when you can choose from ethnic eateries, street vendors, and hole-in-the-walls.
  • In Boston you can grab a cup of clam chowder at Quincy Market. We enjoyed a tasty dinner at Picco Pizza in the South End.
  • In New York, my favorite cheap eats are from the street-side vendors selling roasted peanuts, hot dogs, and pretzels.
  • D.C. is a little trickier when it comes to cheap food—especially in the central area around the museums. I like the cafeteria in the Museum of the American Indian. We had a lot of picnics on the Mall (pictured above).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dear,

I just came across your Blog.I liked your blog very much and found that we could exchange links. I hope you will exchange links.


My link details are :

Title : Cheap flights
Url : http://www.globester.com/
Description : Spend less and get more with Globester.com. Your one-stop shop for Cheap flights and more, we bring you more with every deal. Huge discounts, big savings and cheap flight tickets, you couldn’t have asked for anything else.

and


Title : Cheap flights USA Blog
Url: http://cheapflightsusa.wordpress.com/


Please add my link and i will add your link here :
http://www.caribbeannetmail.com/services.html
http://cheapflightsusa.wordpress.com/
http://www.planeticketsto.com/ho_chi_minh.htm pr-1
http://www.airlineticketsfor.com/Guadeloupe.html
http://www.travellist.us/Travel-Information/Travel-Guides/


Please add my link and send your links details.

Waiting for reply.

Thanks
Alice

link wheel said...

I was very happy to seek out this site.I wanted to thank you for this great learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

so dep said...

Improbable submit! This could aid a number of individuals discover out about this matter. Do you want to incorporate video clips together with these? It may undoubtedly assist out. Your motive was spot on and owing to you; I in all probability will not have to describe everything to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there should not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I actually appreciated that part, but hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He always tells me loopy stories back in the day and calls me a loser. I guess it's time I transfer out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad assume xD" Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.