Revisiting destinations

Posted on 1:53 PM by
I like going to new places. Exploring an unfamiliar city gives me a rush.

But I'm learning that my kids are quite happy going to the same places again and again. They'd be happy going to Tahoe every summer, and my son would be quite content returning to Philadelphia again and again.

My son and I visited Philadelphia over a year ago. We spent a long weekend seeing all the sights, from the Liberty Bell to Betsy Ross's house. We had a fun time, but I never expected the excitement he expressed for the city when we revisited over spring break.

"When are we going to Philadelphia?" he asked repeatedly during our time in New York and Boston.

"I can't wait to get to Philadelphia because we'll have so much fun there," he kept telling his sister.

Of course, part of this was him rubbing in the fact that he had already been to Philly and she hadn't.

He was particularly enthused about going to see the Liberty Bell, which cracked me up because when we visited it last time, his exact words were, "This is boring" (read the post).

When we finally arrived in Philly, he was ecstatic and only minutes after checking into the hotel, he started pulling my hand toward the door, "Let's go see the bell." (We were staying at the same Best Western Independence Park Hotel, where we had stayed a year ago. It's only a few blocks from the bell.)

We finally got settled into our room and headed out to explore the historic district. My son marched ahead, leading the way to the bell, and me made sure to walk into the building that houses the great American symbol first.

Like a tour guide, and proudly pointed out the crack in the bell.

"That's it..." my daughter said, clearly disappointed. I could tell that Dante was feeling rather disappointed by her disappointment--but he charged on and showed us Independence Hall across the way.

That night we ate at Campo's, a cheesesteak restaurant where my son and I had eaten. He was so happy eating at the same restaurant, sitting at the same table, and eating the same thing he had a year ago.

"When are we coming back to Philadelphia," he asked.

2 comments:

link wheel said...

I used to be wondering in the event you could be excited by becoming a guest poster on my weblog? and in change you may put a hyperlink the publish? Please let me know whenever you get a chance and I'll ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Well, that is my very first visit on your weblog! We're a group of volunteers and beginning a brand new initiative in a group throughout the same niche. Your weblog supplied us useful info to work on. You've got carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good source like this.