Have you ever missed a flight?

Posted on 10:02 PM by
We nearly missed our flight returning home from Seattle. Well, actually only three of us—my two kids and I—made it onto the plane. We left my husband behind in Seattle.

I thought the plane left at 7 p.m. when it really left at 5 p.m. I realized my mistake at about 3:30 p.m. when we were taking family photos at Snoqualmie Falls, a good hour from Sea-Tac and still needed to return my friend's house where we were staying, pack our suitcases, fill the rental car with gas, and return the car. Argh!

As we sped through light traffic to the airport, I called Virgin Airlines, panicked. "What do we do?" I said to the agent on the phone.

Honestly, I had never been late for a flight. I'm one of those who arrives 2 hours early.

It turned out that the 5 p.m. flight was the last Virgin flight to San Francisco that day and the agent said sternly, "You need to do everything possible to make the flight."

We realized we had no chance of getting on the plane if we returned the rental car, so the plan was for my husband to drop off the kids and me so we would make the flight, and then he'd return the car and hope for the best.

My kids and I ran to the ticket agent--because we had luggage to check. I immediately apologized for our tardiness as I've always found people who arrive late for their planes just plain rude.

It made me feel better when I realized we weren't the last ones on our flight to check in--a panicked man arrived at the counter minutes after us. We ran to security--thank goodness the line was short. And then we ran to our gate and got right on the plane.

I told the flight attendant that I was hoping my husband might still have a chance of making it and she said, "Honey, we ain't holding this plane for your husband." And then I felt really stupid for saying anything.

We sat parked for awhile...and I just gazed at the aisle...hoping my husband might make it. But then we started rolling. Darn! He was stuck in Seattle for the night.

Have you ever missed a flight? Why? How did you deal with the situation?

4 comments:

link wheel said...

I was more than happy to seek out this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice read!! I definitely having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I really appreciated that part, however hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me crazy stories again in the day and calls me a loser. I guess it's time I move out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad think xD" Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Good post!You did a good work,and offer more effective imformation for us!Thank you!

so dep said...

Your weblog is fine. I simply need to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing method too much and it takes away from what youve got to say --which I feel is admittedly important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases may hold everyones attention, however you have been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.