Hiking with kids

Posted on 10:22 PM by
My parents forced me to hike as a kid. I had no choice. I had to walk up the mountain, or they'd leave me behind.

Their strategy might sound cruel but it worked. I've grown into an adult who loves spending weekends walking a trail, and now that I have my own kids I find myself bringing my own children--and using my parent's same no-nonsense approach. (It's frightening how we all turn into our parents.)

Our family spent last weekend hiking in California's Sierra Nevada mountains, and my husband and I brought our 5-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter on two four mile hikes. Our first hike started with a steep climb up a mountainside. It was a hot day, even at 9 a.m., and about 15 minutes into the hike my daughter started complaining.

"I'm hot!" "When will be there?" "I need a break!" Can we turn around?"

My husband and I both ignored her.

She eventually threw herself onto the ground and started crying. I actually felt badly for her and wanted to stop and console her but I just kept walking and turned the corner.

As soon as we were out of sight, she popped back up and ran after us. "Hey! Wait up!"

She never complained again, and we made it to a pretty, little lake where the kids dipped their feet in the water and cooled off.

The next day, we all happily hiked through fields of purple lupine to a vista point that offered sweeping views of Lake Tahoe. We even made it to a patch of snow where the kids had a snowball fight. They seemed to realize that making it to the top of the hill has its rewards.

Below is a slide show with pictures from our hikes.

6 comments:

Arrows Sent Forth said...

Looks gorgeous! Glad to know I wasn't the only one "forced" to hike as a kid who grew to love it as an adult. We're doing the same with our son (although at this point its pretty easy, since he's strapped to our backs!)

Meghan said...

Great shots Amy! As a fellow hiker-kid (and complainer), it's so worth it all these years later. Thanks mom and dad!

link wheel said...

I've been trying to Achieve access to this website for a while. I used to be using IE then when I tried Firefox, it labored just high-quality? Just wished to bring this to your attention. This is really good blog. I have a bunch myself. I actually admire your design. I know this is off subject however,did you make this design yourself,or buy from someplace? Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Took me time to learn all the comments, but I actually loved the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I'm positive to all of the commenters here! It is all the time good when you cannot solely be told, but in addition engaged! I'm certain you had joy scripting this article. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Resources just like the one you mentioned here might be very useful to me! I will post a hyperlink to this page on my blog. I am positive my visitors will find that very useful. Massive thanks for the useful info i discovered on Area Information Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

so dep said...

Thanks for the smart critique. Me & my neighbour had been getting ready to do a little analysis about that. We got a superb e book on that matter from our local library and most books where not as influensive as your information. I'm very glad to see such data which I used to be searching for an extended time.This made very glad! Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.