Is the end of the lap child near?

Posted on 2:00 AM by
It's a question any new parent bringing an infant on an airplane faces: Do you purchase a seat for your baby or let her sit on your lap?
Current government regulation says children under age 2 are the only people who can fly without being buckled up. Babies can fly for free by sitting on an adult's lap.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has long recommended buying a seat and securing a child in a car seat or a CARES harness, and now the N.T.S.B. has released a statement saying this recommendation should be changed to a requirement.
The N.T.S.B. "concludes that children under the age of 2 years should be afforded the same level of protection as all other persons aboard air carrier airplanes."
If a plane encounters turbulence or crashes, unrestrained children are obviously at higher risk for injury and death than those who are restrained. Yet how often does a plane crash or encounter dangerous turbulence? Not often. And data specifically looking at how many unrestrained children have been injured inflight over the years is unavailable--though anecdotal evidence and available records show that it's very rare.
As a result, most parents--up to 85 percent--opt to carry their babies on their laps, mainly because that's what they would end up doing anyway. Cuddling and nursing an infant tends to minimize crying. Plus, the savings on a ticket are huge.
My two children traveled many times as lap children when they were under 2. There was a wedding in Mexico. A funeral in the Northwest. A trip to France. We saved hundreds in airline tickets. In fact, many families specifically plan trips before their kids turn 2 to take advantage of the free ride.
But it's hard for a parent to feel entirely comfortable with this choice: While parents are safely buckled up, their babies are not.
A lot of the time, parents traveling with lap children still bring car seats onto the plane in hopes of getting placed next to an empty seat. When our children were under 2, my husband and I often asked the ticket agent to seat us next to an open seat--and our request was typically honored.
We'd lug the car seat onto the plane and my husband would then ask for the seat belt extension so he could get the car seat properly installed--but then my daughter would never even sit in the safety seat. I'd hold my daughter in my lap because she was happiest nursing.
The FAA has long argued against requiring parents to buy plane seats for infants. They say parents unable to afford tickets for their young children will opt to drive rather than fly, resulting in more highway fatalities.

What do you think? Should children under 2 be restrained on plane flights? What have you done when flying with an infant?

6 comments:

Toni said...

I'm a flight attendant and mom who just discovered your blog. I had to read the post about "the end of the lap child."
I don't want to come off gruffly here in my first post. But let me explain to you what really happened on that flight where you didn't buy a ticket for your baby but dragged on a car seat in case there was an empty seat. There was and you installed the safety seat and then didn't use it because your baby seemed happy on your lap.
I can't tell you how often I've gone to all kinds of trouble, and inconvenienced/rearranged passengers, so make sure parents traveling with a lap baby could be seated next to an open seat so as to make use of it for a safety seat. And THEN they don't make the baby sit in it, ostensibly because "the baby doesn't like it" or "the baby will cry" or "she wants to see out the window" or WHATEVER.
WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU THINKING?
You''re given, GRATIS, what many parents have the sense to PAY FOR, and it's not a LUXURY, it's a SAFETY FEATURE. And you didn't USE IT?

link wheel said...

Properly, this is my very first go to to your weblog! We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a neighborhood throughout the same niche. Your weblog provided us helpful info to work on. You will have carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Sources like the one you talked about right here can be very useful to me! I'll put up a hyperlink to this web page on my blog. I'm positive my visitors will find that very useful. Massive thanks for the helpful info i found on Domain News Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

so dep said...

Hi, i read your blog sometimes and that i personal the same one and i was just questioning if you happen to get a whole lot of spam feedback? If that's the case how do you forestall it, any plugin or anything you can advocate? I'm getting so much these days it's driving me mad so any assist is very much appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve obtained something good here. But what should you added a pair links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or possibly you could give us one thing to look at, one thing that may connect what youre saying to one thing tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Sources like the one you talked about right here can be very useful to me! I'll put up a hyperlink to this web page on my blog. I'm positive my visitors will find that very useful. Massive thanks for the helpful info i found on Domain News Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.