Surviving summer traffic jams

Posted on 11:12 PM by
On the Go with Amy got a mention in a recent article on ABC Online about surviving summer traffic jams:

It's nearly impossible to fathom the massive traffic jam in China, now in its 11th day with cars moving about a half-a-mile each 24 hours.

Yes, you read that right, cars and trucks on a 60-mile span of highway in Inner Mongolia are moving slower than most people can crawl.
And yet there are no reports of road rage, no massive protests against road crews. The drivers' only complaint: villagers who are providing food and water to them seem to be price gouging.
"The thing that shocks me the most, is the way the drivers are handling it, their basic tolerance for it," said Tom Jacobs, director of the Center for Advanced Transportation Technology at the University of Maryland. "Folks here, God forbid they spend more than an hour in a traffic backup."
That's probably true. American drivers love to avoid gridlock, especially when heading out for a family vacation. So before you hit the road these final weeks of summer, we decided to ask the experts for tips to avoid traffic and what to do when stuck in that driving nightmare.

Avoiding Traffic Jams

The easiest way to stay happy while in a traffic jam is to avoid one in the first place. That's not always easy, but technology is quickly expanding to assist motorists.
Before Jacobs leaves his office, he checks a desktop traffic widget on his personalized Google page that gives him real-time traffic updates for all the highways on his drive home. If there is a problem, he can pick an alternate route before even leaving his desk.
Stay Up to Date on the Latest Travel Trends from ABC News on Twitter
Once in his car, Jacobs relies on the old – radio traffic reports – and the new – programs on his smartphone that provide real-time traffic updates. Supplement all of that with those highway message signs run by the state's department of transportation and he's up to speed with any delays, hopefully before hitting them.
"If it looks like it's horrible, I don't care, I will bail out," Jacobs said. "Invariably there's a local road, a rural road. Even if it means that I have to travel way out of my way to get around a particular event, I will do it."
Chris McGinnis, a travel expert and the head of Travel Skills, said that that being stuck in a traffic jam is not as bad today as it was in the past when we were not so wirelessly connected.
"With a smartphone, you at least know what lies ahead, where the next exit is and how far away it is and what the problem or hold up ahead is," McGinnis said. "In the past, no one knew -- except truckers with CB radios -- and it was the uncertainty of the situation that made it so awful."
Amy Graff, who blogs about her family road trips at On the Go With Amy, says a surefire way to avoid traffic is to avoid rush hour. "With kids it's really important to steer clear of the road during rush hour. Kids just don't have the bandwidth to sit for long stretches of time," Graff said. "This is especially important around holiday weekends--such as Labor Day and Thanksgiving. My family sat in some terrible traffic the day before Thanksgiving two years ago trying to get into Portland, Ore. What should have taken 30 minutes took two hours."
Her recommendations: Leave around 5 a.m. or after 8 p.m. The hours might be rough, but you'll have a better drive and get to spend more time at your destination.
Another key tip from Graff: stop every two hours. Think about this before you get stuck in that traffic nightmare. It's always best to stretch your legs when you can.
"We kept a hula hoop in the back of the trunk on one road trip. We'd stop and the kids would Hula Hoop," she said. "A jump rope works well too."
Read the full story

10 comments:

Jacob Sokol said...

Mind boggling. Thanks for the share Amy!

Alicia said...

That is what I hate about summer vacation. As if everybody is on the go and the street is so busy and crowded. The traffic is totally annoying. Thanks for the read buddy surviving traffic jams is quite a challenge.

Eric said...

Traffic during rush hours is really so annoying and because it's summer, too much heat on cars may cause damage to them. In our place in Orange County, used car dealers once told me that it is better to always condition your car before going out so that your car will be ready in case of situations like traffic jams, etc.

Leisa Dreps said...

I always hate traffic jams (who wants them anyway?). They make my day so irritating and I get so pissed off every time there is a huge traffic jam. But great thing, I can still get to relax in the middle of it through my new Mazda which I bought in Indianapolis. The interiors, the seats and the car itself makes all the bad days go away.

Stephen said...

Me too! No one loves traffic. We may experience different accidents during traffic. Like me for instance, I was riding on a motorcycle in Oakland when a car hit me and got into an accident. I've sought advice from an attorney, because I want to get claims from my accident. Good thing, I already got it now.

link wheel said...

Please inform me it labored proper? I dont wish to sumit it again if i would not have to! Either the blog glitced out or i'm an idiot, the second option doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an ideal blog! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

linkwheel said...

I was questioning what is up with that bizarre gravatar??? I know 5am is early and I'm not wanting my finest at that hour, however I hope I do not seem like this! I'd nonetheless make that face if I am requested to do a hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

so dep said...

Have you ever thought-about adding extra videos to your blog posts to maintain the readers extra entertained? I mean I just read by way of your complete article of yours and it was fairly good but since I am more of a visible learner,I found that to be extra useful effectively let me know how it seems! I love what you guys are all the time up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Sustain the good works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. It is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I'll visit your blog recurrently for some latest post. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I actually appreciated that part, but hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He always tells me loopy stories back in the day and calls me a loser. I guess it's time I transfer out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad assume xD" Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

I was questioning what is up with that bizarre gravatar??? I know 5am is early and I'm not wanting my finest at that hour, however I hope I do not seem like this! I'd nonetheless make that face if I am requested to do a hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.