Teaching kids geography

Posted on 10:59 PM by
When the National Geographic Society surveyed 18- to 24-year-old Americans in 2006 to find out what they knew about the world, only 37 percent could find Iraq on a map, despite the fact that U.S. troops have been in that country since 2003, according to the Harvard alumni magazine. Places closer to home didn't fare much better: 50 percent couldn't locate New York, the country's third largest state.

I'm determined to teach my children that there's a world outside their own community. Travel can certainly help with that but I'd also like them to be able to look at a map and identify states, countries, continents, oceans. I have come up with some ways to do this and in the next few blog posts I'll be highlighting those.

Here's my first tip:
National Geographic Kids has this great online game that allows children to become "GeoSpies" by correctly identifying countries, continents, states, and provinces on a world map. It's also a great way for adults to brush up on their knowledge. Click here to play

6 comments:

Sharlene said...

Great post Amy. I am so annoyed at those statistics! We have world and US maps on the walls of our children's playroom. They are 3. Its never too early to start and i know they won't be taught these things in school anymore. Its just sad.

Lorraine said...

We've finally got a family computer for the kids in our home, and I was looking for something besides starfall.com. Great tip, we'll check it out!

link wheel said...

Please tell me it worked proper? I dont need to sumit it once more if i should not have to! Either the weblog glitced out or i'm an idiot, the second option doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an excellent weblog! Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Properly, this is my very first go to in your weblog! We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a community throughout the same niche. Your weblog supplied us helpful info to work on. You could have carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

Hi, i learn your blog occasionally and i personal the same one and i used to be just wondering for those who get plenty of spam feedback? If that's the case how do you prevent it, any plugin or something you possibly can recommend? I'm getting so much these days it is driving me mad so any help could be very much appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there are not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

You've got an excellent point to say about this subject, and so a lot knowledge. I believe that you know how to make people listen to what you've to say, particularly with an issue thats so essential. Im glad to learn this weblog. Great work, man!