Bringing kids to a notable NYC restaurant

Posted on 8:42 PM by
I hesitantly brought my kids to an NYC restaurant highly regarded by The New York Times food critic Frank Bruni. I worried about my daughter screaming, "This food is yucky," as she once did at a fine San Francisco establishment. But at Momofuku the noise level is so loud that my kids could challenge one another in a yodeling contest and no one would notice. In fact, if you're in NYC with kids and craving something more sophisticated than a Central Park hot dog, this is a great option.

Dante slurps up a bowl of chicken ramen.


Momofuku is a 65-seat noodle joint squeezed into a skinny space in the East Village. It's a happening spot that attracts a young hipster crowd and a lot of media attention. Momofuku chef David Chang was recently profiled in The New Yorker. In 2007 GQ named Chang chef of the year and the James Beard Foundation gave him its Rising Star award. (Chang has three other NYC restaurants; Momofuku was his first.)

The food at Momofuku reflects Chang's background as a Korean-American who worked in ramen shops in Tokyo and at NYC's very upscale Craft. On the menu, you'll find several tasty ramen options (great for kids) as well as some more unusual yet unbelievably delicious dishes. We tried and loved the pork buns, steamed Chinese bun dough folded around slices of pork belly, sauced lightly with hoisin sauce; the smoked chicken wings in a garlicky sweet sauce flecked with pickled chilies; and the grilled baby octopus salad served atop a bed of seaweed and drizzled with a soy vinaigrette.

My children rose to the occasion and behaved quite well. With their napkins in their laps and their bottoms on their chairs, they chowed down on noodles. They made a few disgusting slurping sounds but the music and the chatter drowned them out. In fact, the place was so loud that nobody even heard Paris say, "Mama, this is my favorite restaurant ever!"

Have you shared any memorable meals at notable restaurants with your kids?

5 comments:

Tamra K. said...

Thanks for the great story on eating in a notable restaurant in a big city. Like you, I have had horrible experiences eating at nice restaurants with my children. As a consequence, I have dreaded eating with them at fine restaurants in the past. There was once a smashed green pea incident at Ruth's Chris in Las Vegas. Need I say more.....

So I was terrified to take my then 2 and 3 year-olds to Roy's in San Francisco for a special family occasion. But I was completely surprised. When we first sat down, the server brought out a fruit plate to keep my children occupied. The server kept the perfect dining pace for a family eating with small children. But I never felt rushed or that the restaurant staff was annoyed by my children. Because the service was so great, my children didn't fuss or disturb other customers.

I have no affiliation with Roy's at all. I just wanted to give credit where credit is due! It is possible to take children out to eat in nice restaurants!

parent said...

We recently published a post on this very subject: Eating at nice restaurants with kids.

It definitely can be done...and everyone can have a good experience! It's entitled "No Fries with That: Upscale Restaurants with Kids". Maybe you'll find it interesting or useful.

Enjoy!

The folks at ParentZing!
ParentZing!....is urban. style. parenting.

www.parentzing.net

New York Hotel said...

Yeah..i always book my New York hotel through ECT as i used to get good deal or discount only there. This made my tour successful as well as enjoyable.

Virtual Gifts said...

Nice Post.I am here to share something with you. If you make a sign on http://www.boonspace.com, You can win mobile, camera, ipod touch or other gift. So don't waste your time. be fast.

holy land tours said...

I have personally not visited any of the New York hotel but I have heard they have ample varieties specially for the kids. Kids really enjoy visiting there.