NYC's Staten Island Ferry

Posted on 4:41 PM by

"I want to see the Statue of Liberty!"

"When are we going to see the Statue of Liberty?"

"All I want to do is go see the STATUE OF LIBERTY!!!!"

My daughter's No. 1 priority on our New York trip was to see the Statue of Liberty. Of course, this was the one thing I didn't want to do. When I visited NYC as a child with my mother and grandmother, I remember going on a miserable boat ride to Liberty Island where we stood in a long line. A girlfriend who visited NYC with her children last winter waited in the freezing cold for four hours. Nightmare!

But Paris's incessant pleading made me realize that my 5-year-old child knows only one thing about NYC and that's the Statue of Liberty. Would I bring her to Paris and not show her the Eiffel Tower? Never.

Still, I was determined to pay our regards to Lady Liberty without waiting in a line. How? The Staten Island Ferry. The boat travels between Battery Park in lower Manhattan and St. George on Staten Island. The free, 25-minute ride offers views of the skyline and passes directly by Liberty and Ellis islands. You don't get to set foot on either but the ferry gets you close enough that you can see the gold sparkling at the top of the torch.

As our ferry chugged by the island, my son said, "Why is the Statue of Liberty so small?" and then he sat back down in his seat to play with a matchbox car. But my daughter pressed her nose against the window and gazed in awe at the minty green statue.

"She's so beautiful Mommy!"

Touched, I started to sing "America the Beautiful."

Paris quickly covered my mouth. "You're ruining it, Mommy!"

6 comments:

Melvin said...

Great post. I haven't had a chance to visit New York yet but I've always wanted to see the statue of Liberty. Thanks to you I now know how to view it without standing in a long line

Jeff said...

Thanks, your article was helping me :)

New york Hotel said...

Thank You for this great post. I think New York is very modern city having very big buildings. I often visit New York and book my ticket only through ECT.

Lindsy said...

Madrid Flights - Find cheap flights to Madrid, low cost airline tickets, flight deals Madrid, discount airfares and cheap Madrid (MAD) flight from USA.

Car Hire Barcelona said...

I had never seen statue of Liberty in real life. Great blog post, thank you. By the way how much cost to see it?

holy land tours said...

The Statue of liberty is simply wonderful. Though it is located in NYC it was gifted to them by the Paris people. A great architecture indeed.