NYC with kids: got ideas?

Posted on 9:40 PM by

Six years ago, I went to New York City to explore job opportunities. I was working in the magazine industry and I dreamed of living in a closet-size studio in Manhattan and working as an editor at Conde Nast. I remember eating out at a lively restaurant in the Meat Packing District with some girlfriends. We shared a few bottles of wine and I was feeling good. After dinner, I called my husband. "We have to move here!" I said.

A few days later, I flew home to find out that I was two months pregnant. (I still feel guilty about the alcohol I consumed on that trip.) My unrealistic, over-priced New York dream instantly faded as a much more meaningful dream of raising a child took over.

Tomorrow, I'm taking my kids and husband to NYC--and that past trip seems like a memory from another lifetime. We're staying at the Best Western Hospitality House in Midtown. Our room comes with a kitchenette, and I look forward to buying groceries at Zabar's. Paris hopes to visit the Statue of Liberty, and Dante wants to see dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum. My husband is just hoping that I won't rediscover my love for New York and say "We have to move here!"

Do you have ideas for fun things to do with kids in New York? Any hot tips on affordable family restaurants? The Meat Packing District restaurant definitely isn't kid-appropriate.

0 comments: