Dreaming of a life in Flagstaff

Posted on 11:56 PM by

Ever visit a place and consider staying for life? You're just a tourist but you dream of becoming a local. Everything about the destination seems better--or different--than your home base: the community, the climate, the landscape, the home prices, the farmer's market, the ski resort that's only 10 minutes away. You eagerly talk to locals and think they're all so friendly and you want to be their longtime friends. You take a peek at the listings in the windows of real estate agencies and maybe even chat with a Realtor.

That’s how we felt in Flagstaff, Ariz., one of our stops along Route 66. Anthony and I became so enchanted with this mountain town in Northern Arizona that we started to imagine ourselves raising our children there. We envisioned ourselves hanging out at downtown's independent bookstores, sushi restaurants, coffee houses, and Heritage Square where bluegrass bands twang on weekends. We pictured ourselves taking family hikes in the surrounding San Francisco Peaks and teaching our kids to ski at Arizona Snowbowl, a small resort with more than 2,000 feet of vertical, only 20 minutes north. We even walked around some neighborhoods, spotted a perfect little Craftsman house (something we'll never be able to afford in San Francisco), and imagined life with more than two bedrooms.

This has happened to me before. I also fell deeply in love with Bend, Ore.; Boulder, Colo.; Telluride, Colo., and Park City, Utah. I have a soft spot in my heart for mountain towns. Those places where everyone bikes in the summer and skis in the winter. Where a disproportionate number of outdoor shops line main street. Where the air is crisp and clean. We love living in San Francisco but sometimes the antithesis is refreshing.

Our day in Flagstaff was perfect so I easily fell in love. We arrived just in time for the Fourth of July parade at 9 a.m. The entire town population of 57,000 people seemed to be there, either watching from the sidelines or marching down the main drag. The sense of community was phenomenal.

In the evening, we attended a free outdoor concert and movie screening at the town square. Families spread out picnic blankets and unpacked baskets of food. A local dad, Dave Stilley, came out with his guitar and sang old Bob Dylan and James Taylor tunes. His two kids even joined him for a few tunes. And then he sang this song that he had written about Flagstaff being the best place in the entire world. He sang about visiting London and the South of France, New York City and Los Angeles. But he hollered out that Flagstaff is the best place to be. And everyone in the crowd cheered.

Have you ever visited a town, fallen in love, and dreamed of moving there?

Photo courtesy of the Flagstaff CVB

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not a mountain town, but I have had similar feelings about SLO (San Luis Obispo). Hey, the kids are even set all the way through college at Calpoly SLO.

One major drawback of all these places is that they tend to be remote, (part of their appeal) making it harder to travel. I guess if you are in the best spot, the desire to see other places subsides.

Anonymous said...

Gearhart Oregon--you should take your kids there sometime--

Marisa said...

After my latest trip, I would have to say Boston! :)

MareC said...

I live in Fort Myers FL and love it here, but yes, I have fallen in love and done the dreaming of living there thing while on vacation. I've done the realtor talks, even done the wanting to be best friends with the locals. Notably Norwich VT across the CT river from Dartmouth College. We fell in love with Dan & Whit's the general store, whose tagline is "If we don't have it, you don't need it." (which was true) Even shopped for land while there. Most recently, fell in love with the adorable family who owns the Owl's Had General Store in Maine and was ready to move in with them (LOL). Other wish lists - a garden apartment in the North End of Boston, or a walk-in closet by Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Why can't we live in 5 or 6 places I wanna know? Funny, because I have written the same sort of feelings as you on my travel blog too. Must be a common quality of a travel junkie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this

Regard,
Stop Dreaming Start Action
Rusli Zainal Sang Visioner

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this nice info, it's so useful for me.

regards,
Max

Adi said...

Hello, This is my first time visiting here. Your blog is a nice,I thought I would leave my first comment. :)

Greets from
Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang

London Hotels said...

Nice post! I like to read about new places for traveling around the world. I'm charmed from the picture in the beginning of your post, I like such kind of nature. I'm planning to travel in US with my boyfriend this summer and your post increases my wish. We will start from NY and then we must to plan perfect our route:)

Twilight Accessories said...

wow what a view, I wish I could go there.

Bryan
Xerox Phaser Ink
Twilight Bedding

JMM said...

A nearby spot to take in while in Falgstaff is the Walnut Canyon National Monument. This offers visitors a chance to walk in a breathtaking canyon, passing nearly 20 Indian cave dwellings! The view across to the other side of the tree-filled canyon are more cave dwelling openings! This almost one-mile hike is pretty strenuous with a very steep climb up near the end. Take water and a camera-the sights are worth the climb. Caution with little ones-the trail is narrow in places and not fenced. Leave the dogs at home or at the hotel while on this hike. The Visitor Center is where you start and end this hike. They are very helpful and will remind all visitors that hikes must start by 4 PM at the latest! Take this hike-you'll be amazed!