Big cities on a budget rule #2: Take public transit to and from the airport

Posted on 9:21 PM by
A $50 cab ride. It's the only way to get into Manhattan, right?

Actually, there's another option, and it's a lot cheaper.

When our family arrived at JFK at 7:45 a.m., we hopped on the Air Train. We paid $5 to ride a train that zips you to the subway. It's free for kids 5 and under, so my son rode for free. We only had to pay $15 for three of us.

At the subway, we paid another $2.25 for my husband and me; the station agent said the kids were short enough to get in free. And so we got into Manhattan for $19.50--more than half what we would have paid a cab driver.

Is there a downside? Well, yes. After taking the train, the subway, and then walking to our hotel, it took us nearly two hours to reach our destination. We would have arrived in an hour in a cab. But when your flight gets in long before anything is open, taking public transit is a great way to kill some time.

3 comments:

linkwheel said...

Properly, this is my very first go to in your weblog! We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a community throughout the same niche. Your weblog supplied us helpful info to work on. You could have carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

I was wondering if you need to be a guest poster on my web site? and in alternate you could possibly include a hyperlink your publish? Please reply while you get an opportunity and I will ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Howdy, i read your weblog often and i own an analogous one and i used to be just wondering for those who get numerous spam feedback? In that case how do you forestall it, any plugin or something you may advise? I get a lot currently it is driving me mad so any assistance is very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.