Big cities on a budget rule #4: Go out for pizza

Posted on 4:33 AM by
After our stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge, we get in line at Grimaldi's a pizza place in Brooklyn's Dumbo neighborhood at the foot of the bridge.

A line of about 100 people are standing outside the door. Should we wait? The smell of sweet tomato sauce wafts out the door...Yes! At this point it's 2 p.m.

After about 15 minutes and watching only one party of two go in the door, my husband suggests that we leave to find another place. But I was determined to stick it out.

An hour passes by and the kids are getting hungry. We step inside a gift shop next to the pizzeria where the owner tells us that Michelle Obama had dined at Grimaldi's only two days before.

I run out of the store to tell my husband. He's impressed and begins to wait in line with a smile on his wife. A Spanish couple behind us reveals to us that they are in line because they had hear about Mrs. Obama's visit earlier that week.

I entertain the kids by making videos of them singing with my iPhone.

It's freezing outside. 29 degrees. Because we packed so light for our trip we're unprepared for the cold. The kids and I go back into the gift shop to get warm.

Another hour passes, and at 4 p.m. we finally walk in the door.

People are stuffed into this tiny restaurant like sardines and gathered around tables covered in red-and-white check tablecloths. They're drinking carafes of wine and eating blistery thin-crust pizzas, the sort that are spread with fresh tomato sauce and chunks of fresh mozzarella.

Here's a photograph of the pizza we devoured. And yes, it was worth the wait.


Why pizza on a big city budget trip? Because a family of four can sit down at a restaurant and enjoy a delicious meal for $30 to $40.

4 comments:

link wheel said...

Wonderful learn, I simply passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he really bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Hey cool weblog, just questioning what anti-spam software program you employ for feedback as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

I used to be more than happy to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice learn!! I positively having fun with every little little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Hello, i learn your blog sometimes and i personal an analogous one and i was simply wondering in case you get a whole lot of spam comments? In that case how do you stop it, any plugin or something you possibly can advocate? I am getting a lot these days it's driving me mad so any help is very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.