Red eye flights and kids: Good or bad idea?

Posted on 9:16 PM by
"Do you think taking a red eye with a 6-year-old is a good idea?" a lady asked me in the security line at San Francisco airport. She was helping a young boy lift his little rolling suitcase into the baggage screener.

"I'm taking my grandson on a flight to Washington, D.C., tonight and when I told all my friends they said I was crazy."

I also had young kids -- my 5-year-old son and 7 year old daughter -- in tow, and so I think she was looking for reassurance that she wasn't crazy.

I told her that red eyes are the best way to go with kids.

You keep them up past their bed time so they're especially tired and then as soon as they get onto the plane they flop down into their seat and fall fast asleep. If you're on a shorter 5-hour flight, they don't get as much sleep as they need, but typically they can make up for the lost hours by taking a nap or going to bed early. On longer 10-hour flights, my kids will typically sleep for eight or nine hours.

The lady looked relieved.

Do you ever take red eyes with your kids? Have they been successful?

8 comments:

The Coys said...

I have only taken one red-eye flight with my son a few years ago, when he was 3. It went very well. The only difficult thing was the next day - but we both seemed tired enough to just sleep a lot and slowly get back onto the east coast time.

Now that I think about it, I should do it again!

Randy @thelollipoproad said...

Done it several times and the kids fare much better than the adults!

dubai cheap flights said...

You have a nice blog here! I will be saving this page to my favorites for sure. I just visited a site with great articles are here.

The Lavatory Lady said...

Thank you so much for this post...we're doing our first cross country with all 3 kids and I wasn't sure if the red-eye was a good idea or not. In theory it seemed right; but I've been burned by that before!

link wheel said...

Have you ever ever considered adding more movies to your weblog posts to maintain the readers extra entertained? I mean I just learn by way of the complete article of yours and it was fairly good but since I'm more of a visible learner,I found that to be more useful nicely let me know how it turns out! I like what you guys are always up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the good works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. This can be a nice article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I'll visit your weblog repeatedly for some newest post. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you happen to added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you could possibly give us something to take a look at, something that might join what youre saying to one thing tangible? Just a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good supply like this.

so dep said...

I was questioning what's up with that weird gravatar??? I do know 5am is early and I am not wanting my greatest at that hour, however I hope I do not appear like this! I would however make that face if I'm requested to do one hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

I've been trying to Acquire entry to this web site for a while. I used to be utilizing IE then after I tried Firefox, it labored simply advantageous? Just wanted to convey this to your attention. That is actually good blog. I have a bunch myself. I really admire your design. I do know this is off subject however,did you make this design your self,or purchase from somewhere? Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good supply like this.