Seattle—Here we come!

Posted on 12:12 PM by
Seattle might be known for its rain and gray skies, but in fall the sun is
often shining and the city sparkles. (Seattle CVB)
Our family welcomed a new baby two months ago. For obvious reasons we spent our summer at home changing diapers. This is unlike our family. We're usually on the go in July and August.

And so we decided that as soon as Julia hit the two-month mark (the time when most experts agree babies are ready to travel), we'd leave town.

Since our two older kids are in school a long weekend is our only option.

Where to go that's close to San Francisco? Seattle!

It's an easy two-hour flight from S.F. to this dazzling city that gets its best weather in the fall. You can't beat a clear, balmy day in Seattle, with the sparkling waters of Puget Sound, the grassy parks and meandering walkways, and the Cascade and Olympic mountains, covered in a light sprinkling of powdered sugar, circling the cityscape. What's more, Seattle has all the makings of a family vacation with a zoo, an aquarium, a science museum and a 605-foot-tall space-age tower rising above it all.

"We have to go up the Space Needle," my 9-year-old son said when I told him about the trip. "We might see space ships from up there."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that we probably wouldn't see any flying saucers but I did say that I hope we get some sunny days for optimal viewing.

I need your help
This week I'll be putting together our itinerary for the two-day adventure. I'd love to get some reader suggestions. What should we do? Where should we eat?

We'll be staying at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn within shouting distance of the Space Needle. I'd love some suggestions within walking distance of our hotel.

0 comments: